Clinton's Dubious Draft-Dodge
Date Added: July 3, 2003
That former President William Jefferson Clinton utilized a complicated string of political favors and unkept promises to avoid action in Vietnam is now a matter of public record. What isn't public, however, is what, if any, criminal implications his actions may have had. Until now, that is, when this anonymously authored chain letter pretends to do what the mainstream press has been unable to do for more than a decade.
Clinton's Military record:
Bill Clinton registers for the draft on September 08, 1964, accepting all contractual conditions of registering for the draft.
Given Selective Service Number 3 26 46 228.
Bill Clinton classified 2-S on November 17, 1964.
* Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on March 20, 1968.
* Bill Clinton ordered to report for induction on July 28,1969.
* Bill Clinton dishonors order to report and is not inducted into the military.
* Bill Clinton reclassified 1-D after enlisting in the United States Army Reserves on August 07,1969 under authority of Col.E.Holmes. and takes oath of enlistment.
* Bill Clinton fails to report to his duty station at the University of Arkansas ROTC, September 1969.
* Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on October 30, 1969, as enlistment with Army Reserves is revoked by Colonel E. Holmes and Clinton now AWOL and subject to arrest under Public Law 90-40 (2)(a) 'registrant who has failed to report...remain liable for induction'.
* Bill Clinton's birth date lottery number is 311, drawn December 1, 1969, but anyone who has already been ordered to report for induction, is INELIGIBLE!
* Bill Clinton runs for Congress (1974), while a fugitive from justice under Public Law 90-40.
* Bill Clinton runs for Arkansas Attorney General (1976),while a fugitive from justice.
* Bill Clinton receives pardon on January 21, 1977 from Carter.
* Bill Clinton FIRST PARDONED FEDERAL FELON ever to serve as President.
All these facts come from Freedom of Information requests, public laws, and various books that have been published, and have not been refuted by Clinton.
Aside from an improper application of public law, the events outlined above are basically correct, at least until the author draws the fallacious conclusion that Clinton was a criminal for his actions. A complete account of Clinton's elaborate draft-dodge is given in the reference cited below, but the gist is this:
While his conduct may have been immoral and was undoubtedly unethical, it was not illegal under the laws at that time and, thus, the conclusion drawn that he was the first pardoned criminal to serve as President is fallacious. He craftily manipulated the system, but he had the proper and legal right to do everything he did. He was never technically AWOL, never guilty of failing to report, was never a criminal under public law and, thus, was not among those pardoned by President Carter in 1977.
The author of the chain letter above does not identify himself or his credentials. This chain has appeared to be the work of several different people, but every one of those credits has turned up to be a case of False Attribution Syndrome. Break this chain.